Friday, October 10, 2014

Bountiful Baskets Adventures

Since moving to the middle of nowhere, I have been challenged to find quality fresh produce for reasonable prices.  The girls love fresh fruit, but even bananas aren't good quality here just because of the distance they have to be transported.  And everything is more expensive.

Despite hearing about it before I ever moved out here, I just recently began participating in the Bountiful Baskets coop.  I've been extremely pleased with the amount we receive for the price, and the quality is much better than I can typically find in the stores.  I've not had decent strawberries since we left Tennessee, but my last basket included some that tasted like they were straight from heaven.  I really didn't want to share them with the kids!

Because it's a coop, you don't pick and choose what is included in your baskets.  I'm a boring shopper since the range of fruits and vegetables I've been exposed to is rather narrow, so this has been a great way of adding variety to our diets and exposing the girls to new things.  There are many things I won't buy at a store because I don't know if we'll like it or have no idea how to prepare it, but when it's already in the fridge I don't want it to go to waste.  We discovered we love pluots thanks to this new adventure in eating. I learned about avocados, made homemade guacamole, and now have some mushed and frozen just waiting for CJ to be ready for something besides rice cereal.

But today... we had the adventure of artichokes.  I didn't even know what they were when I picked up my basket Saturday.  But I'd heard of artichokes so a quick Google Image search confirmed that is what they were.  Another search led me to a Wiki-How article for how to prepare and eat them.

They tasted okay.

video
The girls love them.

I won't be buying them at the store.

I mean, really, who came up with the idea of eating these things?  At 65 calories per artichoke, I'm pretty sure I expended more calories trying to get the miniscule amount of edible... stuff?... out of them than I actually consumed.

Not exactly the most toddler-friendly meal

This...

...yielded this.
Now, the rest of the meal, which included steamed broccoli from our Basket, and made-up-on-the-fly stir fry of chicken, orange peppers (also a new food for me from Bountiful Baskets), onions, a few artichoke leaves as an experiment, and on my and Kelly's plates mushrooms and water chestnuts, seasoned with soy sauce and Dale's, was much more filling and also a big hit.  Despite their bulging bellies, I also gave the girls fresh cantaloupe from our Basket as "dessert."

I think I could get used to actually having fresh foods on hand. =)  Although, I can live without the artichokes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment