Friday, January 10, 2014

Five Minute Friday: See

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking. 2. Link back here and invite others to join in. 3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.. 


Each day starts the same.  A thump.  Hopefully some giggles.  Occasionally a wail.  And then I open the door and let them out.

I see droopy diapers and runny noses and messy hair.  So I deal with the droopy diapers and runny noses.  The hair... well, that just depends on whether we're going somewhere.  One climbs in her booster and announces "eat eat" while the other goes to the fridge and says "mi, mi."

We get breakfast, then they get down to play, and I see dirty dishes.  Food in the floor.  Lack of clean clothes.  So I tackle those tasks while they play dump the toys.  Eventually, it's naptime, and I see toybox explosion, and a lack of dinner prep, and exhaustion.  So sometimes I deal with what needs to be done, and other times I spend their nap studying the insides of my own eye lids.

And so every day goes... seeing immediate needs, and dealing with them.  Not a bad thing.  But sometimes, I remember there's a bigger picture.  Sometimes, I realize just how quickly time is slipping by.  I blinked and she's two.  I'll blink again and the unborn son inside me will be two.  A few more blinks, and they'll be in school.  And then gone.

And what will I have seen each day?  Will I only see the dishes, the laundry, the clutter?  Mostly nutritious meals, keeping them reasonably clean, providing developmentally appropriate toys... yeah, got that.  But what about other things?  Like actually preparing them for life?

That comes in bits and pieces throughout the day.  Every moment has a learning opportunity.  But am I so focused on the here and now survival that I forget to see the bigger picture of what I actually want them to learn?

So here I sit, waffling on clicking the order button.  Can I commit to this?  I don't want to spend my money and then have a workbook sit on the shelf and not actually do it.  But will it help me remember the bigger picture?  That each day is more than just survival.  That each day is a step towards adulthood.  Where they'll need to know that God is love, and He is risen, and that we are to give thanks with a grateful heart.  Where they'll need to know their ABC's which might require a bit more intentional teaching than I normally give.  Where they'll remember more than just mom constantly saying no, stop that, don't do that, but also Bible stories, story books, crafts and activities we do together.  Fun and learning together.  More than just survival.
Maybe.  I hope.  So do I take the plunge and commit to seeing the bigger picture?

14 comments:

  1. Stephanie . . . I loved this! I have a big silly grin on my face because I remember being where you are. Just stopping by from #FMF. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So it is possible to get through this AND actually still have a memory on the other side! Good to know, because sometimes I wonder! =)

      Delete
  2. Being a Mom is a BIG job, 24/7. My baby is now 37 years old and I still have the same fears, that I might miss something, and get caught up in the dailies. I loved your post! Your post was so REAL! Not a bunch of goodie words, just real, truth, from your heart. I will definitely be back to visit again, I feel that you can teach me and I can learn from your words.
    jackie from over at www.gr8tfull.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this too, just stopping in from FMF ...
    Hang in there sister... They do grow fast and I made mistakes, then grew and taught them better and then they start making their own decisions. I guarantee that you are doing an AMAZING job at it too because you WANT to do it well!

    It's a tiring time of life but it's so precious at the same time... bittersweet.

    I agree with your other reader's comments... really down-to-earth honest - just real life...

    Have a great Friday and weekend ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, tiring yet precious is a good way to put it!

      Delete
  4. well written, good questions. Just stopping by from FMF. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our nest is empty but the days still fill with so many "must do' s". I still must remember to cherish the moments - to slow and see the blessings. This was wonderful.
    Thanks so much for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a lesson I need to learn for life! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Oh, the memories I can look back on. I am amazed that we made it through those sticky fingered days when running noses seemed to rule the roost! Our kids are, at this moment, 14, 13, and 12 years old. I look back on this years with fondness and an ache that reaches out to the photos. I know that it is difficult to see that those snotty noses are treasured memories or that those morning sounds will be missed so much...you're doing well, Mama! I enjoyed your honest post. Keep up the great love!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know exactly where I am then! My kids, in 12 short years, will also be 12, 13, & 14!

      Delete
  7. Dear Stephanie,

    It seems like everywhere I look, I see things that need to be done or things I neglected to do. But hopefully, like every once and a while I see somethings that have been done right.

    Thanks for being transparent and real.

    Blessings...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from FMF and you visited my blog. Thank you!
    I also enjoyed this! I remember the crazy of all those early years. Mine are 17, 15, 14 and 4 ( he is a surprise blessing! ). I saw you had a plug-in for Sonlight curriculum. We have homeschooled with Sonlight for 12 years now. Great stuff! Thanks again for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete