Friday, January 17, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Encouragement

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..


Go:

I so often look for encouragement from outside sources.  From other people.  Through text messages.  Phone calls.  Facebook.  And when people I know don't supply nearly enough, I go to people I don't know.  Blogs.  And more blogs.  The internet is full of sources of encouragement.  

Yet, sometimes, it's still not enough. 

And while this may not sound like the most Christian thing to say, I'm going to say it anyway.

Sometimes, the source of encouragement needs to be myself.  

Yes, I need to encourage me.  

By acting.  By changing.  By realizing no one can fix my problems for me.  No one can tell me exactly what to do.  Sometimes, I need to consider my options, make a decision, and act on it.  

I need to order that preschool workbook and commit to putting structure into my child's life and taking charge of her education, rather than just hoping everything works out. 

I need to e-mail that doctor and get that 3rd opinion, even when I know it may bring news I don't want to hear.  Or news that may leave me asking, how am I going to pay for this?  

And when I take action, when I take a deep breath and say here we go Lord, stop me now if this isn't what I need to be doing cause I don't know what else I can do... encouragement happens.

Because I realize, I'm not a little girl anymore.  I am an adult.  I am a wife.  I am a mother.  I am responsible.  I can be led by God, and I don't have to wait on someone else to tell me what to do.  Because no one else has walked this exact path I'm on.  I need to trust that God gave me a brain, and that He will guide me to what I'm supposed to do.  

And when I need to, I am capable of doing it.  

Stop.  

6 comments:

  1. When I was frustrated or hurt, I always called a friend. I've learned that when I get the urge to call someone - usually it's God telling me I need to call Him - 'cause He's the only one who can give me the encouragement I need:) God's not surprised about anything you wrote - He's right there - knows what you're struggling with - and has the solution:) Just like you said "encouragement happens" - at just the right time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Stephanie,
    Yes, so grateful we can trust God and use our brains...and as we seek Him, without reservation and willing to do what He shows us, He does show us...and sometimes it is wait and sometimes it is to move forward...thanks for visiting and I pray God will continue to reveal more of Himself to you...Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    Just lost my long comment...all to say I am grateful we can trust God and use our brains...keep seeking Him, He will reveal Himself...nice to meet you :) prayed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post....and such a great reminder that sometimes the encouragement comes down to ourselves. I'm praying for you today! Thank you for such an open-hearted post today...it was an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, so many times we are paralyzed by indecision when we need to just give ourselves a kick in the pants, and take the next step. I think it is better to be a blessing to others and even ourselves than do nothing at all. Thank you so much for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I follow a different spiritual path, but our view on this is quite similar. We were given brains for a reason, and were given individual lives for a reason. :) Trusting that inner voice that guides you is important, and often is the greatest encouragement you can find.

    (but that external encouragement is always quite helpful, too!)

    Here via Five Minute Friday. Have a lovely weekend!

    - Melissa
    http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

    ReplyDelete