Sunday, September 29, 2013

Five Minute Friday: True

I actually have a real computer and keyboard this week, and I miss Five Minute Friday!  The email showed up on Thursday, and while I read it, I somehow missed that it was the FMF post... my brain is gone!  Ah well, better late than never...

True

Wuv, true wuv...

Yes, I hear true, I think Princess Bride quote.  I'm such a geek.

True love.  The kind of love that doesn't get posted all over Facebook about just how awesome your husband is, how your heart goes pitter patter when he comes in the door, how you're so madly in love with him... Because while your love may be real, it's not always going to look like that.  

Some days, true love is going to be wiping a child's runny nose because your wife has already done it 50 times that day.  Some days, true love is going to be leaving the coffee maker set up so all she has to do is touch a button rather than have to deal with scooping grounds in a half-asleep fog.  

Some days, true love is five loads of laundry at the laundrymat.  Some days, true love is a roast in the oven.  Some days, true love is eating dinner even when it's burned.  

Some days, true love is keeping your mouth shut.  

It's not always about flowers and chocolate.  It's not about the romantic mood and dinner by candlelight and steak with wine.  It's about thanking God for His blessings and then picking the sippie cup off the floor and reminding your toddler not to throw food in the floor and getting sweet potato out of the baby's hair and then, somewhere, in the midst of all that, finding out what happened in your spouse's day.  

They don't make coloring books showing this side of love.  They make coloring books full of beautiful flowing evening gowns, updo's, and dancing, with a fair amount of candlelight dinners and passionate kisses thrown in the mix.  I guess the nose wiping, coffee making, knee-deep in toddlerhood love isn't very coloring book worthy.  

True.  Real.  Changing diapers true love.  Warming the milk when I really think you should learn to drink it cold true love.  Reading the same book for the 10th time today true love.  

When you think about what true love is, when you remember that true love isn't all rosy cheeks and staring into the eyes of your spouse or child, it frees you to admit that it's hard.  It's not natural.  The initial fluttery feeling may be natural, but the day to day real life living... that's hard.  It's easy to love when the house is clean and everyone's well behaved and the dishes are done and a beautiful dinner's on the table with candles.  When life doesn't look like that... well, thank God for other women who are willing to admit the truth that you don't have to have it all together to have true love!

Stop

Written as part of community of bloggers who gather at Lisa Jo's blog, usually on Fridays although it's okay if you're late, to write without being hindered by perfection.  Simple rules, write for five minutes, give or take, about a word, post your link, and then visit your link neighbor's blog to leave some encouragement.  Come join us next week!

3 comments:

  1. I am in the midst of the most difficult season of my marriage yet. This was a good reminder that I need to search for non-traditional "romantic" evidence of why we should be together, that we're good together. Because of my situation and my recently re-acquired cynicism about "true love", I have to admit that I was groaning at the first sentence. I was surprised to find myself nodding "yes!" by the end of the piece. Thanks for opening up this side of marriage/love to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much! Yes! True love can be a candlelit dinner, or changing a dirty diaper, or, in my case, even washing the nr.2 out of a cloth diaper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I claim credit for turning you into a geek.

    ReplyDelete