Friday, August 2, 2013

Five Minute Friday

Story


I drove.  And drove.  And drove.  And screamed at my child to please stop screaming.  Because that made sense at the time.  And it rained.  And it misted.  And the child kept screaming.  And I kept driving.

And some day, this will be worked into a story about the first trip I took to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  How I was tempted to just pull off at an exit and settle and call my husband and tell him if he wanted us with him, he'd have to send a plane.  How I thought I was going to lose my mind.  How it seemed like everyone was playing a big joke on me and there really wasn't a cabin in the woods at all, it was just woods until the road ran into a lake.

My mind does strange things at midnight, in the fog, after being on the road since 9am.  With a screaming toddler.

But this is a part of our story now.  It will some day be humorous.  It's not really funny right now.

But how many of us like to read a book where everything is happy and pleasant all the way through?  No good writer creates a storyline like that.  A good writer puts in an antagonist.  A trouble maker.  A rough patch for the character.  That's what endears the character to us.  That's what gives a chance to root for him.
Without fog, without screaming toddlers, without lost pacis, without broken cigarette lighters which means no DVD player, without miles upon miles upon miles of woods... Our story would be pretty boring.

Stop.

Written this week from the cabin in the woods on the shores of Lake Superior, as part of a community of bloggers spending five minutes of our busy lives simply writing without worries.  Come join us at Lisa Jo's blog!

4 comments:

  1. Love this. I don't have any screaming toddlers, but have made a long road trip with screaming cats and I'm sure that would be just about the same. I hope that you enjoy your cabin quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Having a toddler of my own I can completely sympathize. We moved from Colorado to Texas... 14 Hours and I thought I was going to lose my mind.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you reached your destination and hope that your time at the lake will be less chaotic!! Thanks for your honesty and transparency. As a grandmother who has been there and done that...or something similar I can say with all honesty, you will someday miss those times!
    Stopping over from FMF.
    blessings,
    Gay @ Captive Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right -- the story line is powerful when there is something to overcome. I'm hoping the time after you arrived has brought peace and rest.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete