Friday, August 16, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Small

A small hand tugs on my arm.  A smaller hand reaches her spoon before I can get it into her mouth and smacks it onto her tray.  And instead of feeling big, I feel small.  Inadequate.  In over my head.

Being new to Big Sky Country reinforces the feeling of smallness.  The sky is bigger.  The horizon is further away.  Even the mosquitoes are bigger.

I've never been described as big, except my belly while pregnant. But nothing has made me feel as small as two little girls. And being so far from everything familiar causes the smallness to resonate, louder and louder, till it becomes deafening.

So what is there to do? One small thing at a time. One small diaper. One small outfit. One small bowl of mush and one sippie cup at a time. One small room clean at a time. One small box unpacked at a time.

Little by little, inch by inch, by the yard it's hard, by the inch, what a cinch. Never stare up the stairs just step up the steps, little by little, inch by inch. ~Patch the Pirate

Join us at Lisa jo's blog.

3 comments:

  1. i love the inclusion of Patch the Pirate - it's funny how even when we're supposed to be "grown up" these stories and characters can speak the wisdom we need. great post, Stephanie. thanks for sharing and reminding us to take life one small thing at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a blast from the past, Patch the Pirate! I have little ones too, 6 of them, so I know right where you are. And I know Big Sky Country too! My brother, his wife, and their 3 kids are in Boseman. Thanks for the connection through FMF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words as always. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete