Sunday, January 13, 2013

Milestones

I'd like to post more regularly this year; of course I say that almost every year so we'll see if things are different this time. =)

As a mom, I focus a lot on milestones.  Rolling over, walking, using a sippie cup...  I spend time on babycenter.com, and a frequent topic is what our little ones are able to do.  Frequently, I've felt like I'm reading on the forum for children several months older than Ladybug.

One of the things I'd like to change about myself in the coming year is how I think about my children.  I think of Ladybug as being behind; I describe her as slow and delayed.  And while that is technically true, I want to guard myself against letting that define who she is.  As my pediatrician put it, "She's just Ladybug."  She is where she is, developmentally.  And it's okay.  It doesn't make me a failure as a parent.  It doesn't mean she's dumb.  She just is.

It's so easy to focus on what she can't do.  But this year, I'd like to focus more on what she can do.  Today, for the first time ever, she stood up in the middle of the floor by herself.  Instead of paying so much attention to what other children her age are doing, I'd like to simply enjoy what she's able to do right now, and work with her on the next step.

She'll be going to a Bible study with  me and Turkey this week for the first time, and she'll be in a class of her own.  I'm excited for her; I think it'll be good for her to be around other adults and children, who'll teach her Bible stories and songs.  I've been trying to decide whether or not I need to talk to the children's leader about her developmental status.  I think I'll simply let them decide which class she's best suited for, and let them know that if they need to move her out of her age group it's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment