Friday, March 30, 2012
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
Thursday, March 22, 2012
Monday, March 12, 2012
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
- Confirming your daughter's pregnancy before she does.
Tuesday, March 6, 2012
I'm going to rant for a moment.
Republican party: you stink.
Grassrotes efforts in east TN: you stink.
I live in a small town, literally on a main street. I live next to a stinkin' post office. And I had NO CLUE that the election was today.
Granted, I'm a tad isolated. I don't have a TV. I don't subscribe to a newspaper. I don't work. But I do go to church. No one mentioned it. NO ONE.
I then decided to criticize myself; after all, if I really wanted to vote, it's my responsibility to find out when the election is and where I'm supposed to vote. So I pulled up the Kingsport Times website to find out poll times. Let me list the headlines for you.
- Gov. Haslam defends his actions for businesses
- Defendent whose drugs were stolen from HCSO evidence locker pleads guilty
- Report: Colts, Manning to go separate ways
- Police: Woman on 'bath salts' breaks into neighbor's home, sets fire
- Hackers busted after one becomes FBI informant
- Police car clips man in wheelchair on Center Street
- Gingrich pitches plan to lower gas prices to $2.50 during Kingsport visit
- Search for UVa-Wise chancellor set to begin
- NWS: Seven tornadoes hit NET, SW Va.
- Sullivan BOE approves $400,000 in renovations for North
- Report: Colts, Manning to go separate ways
- Britain says handshakes OK for its Olympians
- Nine more allege abuse at hands of late Red Sox clubhouse chief
- Lenny Dykstra gets 3 years in Calif. prison
- Judge: NY Mets owe up to $83M to Madoff trustee
- Streak in gas price hikes ends at 27 days
- Chrysler to sell natural gas-powered truck
- Dow falls more than 200, interrupting 2012 rally
- BMW in cooperation talks with General-Motors
- Financier Stanford convicted in $7 billion fraud
- Signature Properties partnership gives back
- Folks You Should Know: Audey Ratliff
- Kingsport Public Library offers wide range of programs, services
- Brooks leads 2012 Country Music Hall of Fame class
- Sci-fi drama 'Terra Nova' axed after first season
- National Geographic Museum to open Titanic exhibit
- 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' composer dies
- Skies still blue for Crystal Gayle
- One killed, several injured in meth lab fire at nursing home
- GOP hopefuls clash with Obama on Iranian response
- Special Forces soldier dies trying to save his kids in house fire
- Court rejects suit by Tennessee dad in international custody case
- Report: Minority students face harsher punishments
- Nancy Ross Hugo lecture 'Seeing Trees: Discover the Extraordinary Lives of Everyday Trees'
- Annie Moses Band coming to FBC March 18
- Children to benefit from 1,500 free books
- Tickets on Sale for "A Tisket, A Tasket, A Literary Basket"
- Scrabble Social aids literacy efforts
Seriously? There is not a SINGLE headline even remotely hinting that the primary is today. NOT ONE. The only thing that even comes close is talking about Gingrich lowering gas prices when he comes to visit. Apparently he was in town yesterday, presumably because the primary is today. I read that article. It concentrates on his comments on gas prices. It doesn't list poll times. And truly, it doesn't even say that TN's election is today. It says he visited the day before Super Tuesday; I suppose you can make a logical conclusion that he wouldn't waste time the day before a major election in a state whose election is later. But they didn't come out and say that. And they sure didn't give specifics as to "Sullivan County polls will be open from 9-5" or whatever.
Apparently, we care more about what Peyton Manning and the Colts are up to than the fact we're deciding who will run against Obama for president.
And just to be clear, I went on to try to find the poll times. The majority of the links I found for my county (not Sullivan) had to do with 2010 election. The link was about 3/4ths the way down the Google search page, and then it took about 4 links from there to find a general "most polls will be open from 8-8." This stuff should be frontline, headline stuff. I should not have to search to find it. TN has not held its primary on Super Tuesday very often; it's not like the national election which is automatically the 1st Tuesday in November. ( I correct myself: apparently TN did use to be part of the Super Tuesday bunch. In 2003 they decided to move it back to February in an effort to get more politicians to pay attention to us, essentially. Please keep in mind I was not even old enough to vote until Dec 2002. So, out of three presidential primaries I've been eligible to vote in, two have them have not been on Super Tuesday. So, it is understandable that I do not immediately associate Super Tuesday with TN's primary.)
Well, whomever me and Ethan may have voted for: you lost two votes today. Surely we're not the only TV-less family in the area.