Monday, January 9, 2012

Our song

Every couple has their song, or should. A special song that when you hear it, you go back to a sweet memory or moment. I wonder if the same thing exists for mothers about their children? Perhaps a lullaby you used to sing to them, or a song the child would sing? Or a song that was on the radio when you saw a positive sign on the dip stick? The song that played in the car as you drove away from finding out if it was a boy or girl? The song you chose to be played as they entered the world?

Ladybug has several songs for me. I don't know if they will be special for each child or just for her; I guess I'll decide that when the next dot appears. Every time I hear "Awake and Alive" by Skillet I think of the moment of her first cry; if I had had music playing in the operating room that's what I would have chosen. That memory still brings tears to my eyes. I'm going to be such a sappy mother. With Arms Wide Open by Creed is also special to me. The Mechanic included it on the Utero mix for my ipod shuffle that I would play for her; I'd never heard it before, and when it came on in the car as I pulled into work I started crying. Sappy mom moment again. It was just such a sweet song to be picked by him.

This song is one that I loved singing to her before she was born. I'd put my hands on my belly, holding my unborn baby, and sing for a few minutes before continuing with my laundry. I suppose it's written for a couple, maybe, but I like to picture this with a parent and child hand in hand. I guess it touches the memories of my times in nature with my parents. It also reminds me of some moments in college with dear friends. I suppose it helps put into words my hope for her to be able to enjoy the simple beauties of life.

Magic Hour by Andrew Peterson
Come climb the hill with me
come and be still with me
come watch the sun slip away
if you will with me

Come watch the garden grow
down by the gravel road
come warm your hands in the gold
of the afterglow

Into the peace of these wild things
into the wild of this grace
into the grace of this blessing
speak in the peace of this place

Come walk the cedar stand
over the broken dam
sit on the bench at the bend
of the trail again

Look how the children laugh
out in the tumble grass
bright as a fire
and as fine as a photograph

Into the peace of these wild things
into the wild of this grace
into the grace of this blessing
speak in the peace of this place

Here at the magic hour
time and eternity
mingle a moment
in chorus

Here at the magic hour
bright is the mystery
plain is the beauty before us
could this beauty be for us

What is this voice that sings
holy and hovering
over the hills and the still of the evening
Son of God speak

Into the peace of these wild things
into the wild of this grace
into the grace of this blessing
speak in the peace of this place

No comments:

Post a Comment